Sunday, July 27, 2008

Week One

I made it to Nairobi in one piece, safe and sound. I have been here five days, and it has been a learning experience already. There is so much to learn: how to speak Swahili, how to grocery shop, how to drive a stick shift, how to drive on the wrong side of the road. The list goes on. I'm taking one little step at a time. Right now I have the grocery shopping accomplished and how to get myself around a very small piece of town. I feel like my whole life right now is very, very small. It's humbling to lack the independence I had just last week.

Some things that are interesting or have made me laugh... 1. I live three houses down from the Embassy of Iraq, where we always see guards in three piece suits and sunglasses. They look like the men in black just hanging out on the street. 2. There are cockroaches that just hang out in my toaster. They are small, maybe a centimeter and a half, but they always come out when you start toasting bread. Yuck! It's a good thing that I'm not a picky eater! :) 3. I have eaten Italian, Chinese, and American food since I've been here. Today I'm going out for Ethiopian. What is Kenyan food like? I have yet to find out.

The internet here is sooooo slow. Rewind 10 years to America, and you'll have an idea of the internet connection at the school. I have yet to get internet at home. I'm told it's coming. So my emailing, skyping, and blogging will be a little slow these days. However, please know that I'm thinking of you all at home. I miss you already. I admit that I've been on the verge of tears yesterday and today, but I have such peace about what I'm doing here. God is good and this time of uncomfortable, friendless days will pass. However, everyone here has been so friendly and nice. They've taken very good care of me so far, and I'm excited to start school. Once that begins, I'll feel like I have a purpose. Right now I have a lot of free time on my hands, which isn't always good.

Thank you all for your prayers. Keep them up! This is the most difficult time here - adjusting and finding my place. I knew it was coming before I got here, but it doesn't make it any easier. I do know that when I am weak, God is strong. That's where my hope lies! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Remember the cockroaches are your friends. Just let them scatter away!

    ReplyDelete