Monday, July 28, 2008

Food

After being here for one week I finally ate my first Kenyan meal today. We drove to a small hole in the wall that you would not know was a restaurant if passing by - small shack with tin roof and make-shift walls. The meal consisted of many dishes on one big plate - too much for one person to eat. The picture here does not show all the things I ate. I cannot tell you the names of the dishes, that has yet to be learned, but it was full of starchy and protein rich foods. Some ingredients included cabbage and other unknown vegetables, maize, potatoes, chicken, rice, and beans. It was very filling, very delicious, and inexpensive. It will be a place I frequent.

I also had Ethiopian food yesterday. It was extremely delicious! It is a mix between Indian and Moroccan food. You eat with your fingers using a fermented bread. Anyone who comes to visit me must try it. It is my favorite meal thus far.

At home I have not cooked much. They've been taking us out to eat so much, but I've done lunch and breakfast at home. I boiled eggs, which took quite a long time, since we're at 6,000 feet elevation. I eat yogurt with fruit or granola and toast in the morning. I've found a peanut butter that is very similar to Adam's natural peanut butter (my favorite back home). I thought of you, Marla, when I tasted it for the first time. I eat a lot of mangoes and avocados. I LOVE the fresh veggies and tropical fruits. Apples and pears are sold in the supermarket, but they're much more expensive than tropical fruits. Yeah for me! I've bought stuff to make pizza, but haven't gotten the chance to cook it yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

One nice thing about Nairobi is the diversity of foods. Lucky for me, I can eat a lot and burn it off with all the walking I do to get everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. Good to see a blog posting from Kenya! It's exciting to see you taste new food. I think new food is one of the greatest parts of traveling. :)

    Krissi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us in the loop of the little details for life. You are missed around here. I need a Kim style pedicure. Know you can always use 3412 as a home base.

    Love,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear the internet is slow.... I'd wondered about that, but it must be faster than when we were in China?! You're in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim: Glad to see you made safe and sound. If I read right you have access to a car. It looks like you are going to have a interesting time. Coakroachs are a fact of life in southern areas. You can use boric acid spread it behind thing dark areas that have bugs etc etc etc. Hope you can find it.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl watch out for those avocados!!! they can be dangerous, at least the Brazilian ones seem to add inches to my backside just by looking at them. Better keep up that walking=0)

    ReplyDelete