Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lifestyles of the Politically Powerful

The Ambassador of the United States of America
Michael E. Ranneberger
requests the pleasure of the company of
Ms. Kim Grimes
at a Reception for Educators

That's what my invitation to the U.S. ambassador's house said, which Wendy and I are holding in our hands prior to attending this posh event.

On Thursday I went to the ambassador's house. The ambassador is the top U.S. official in all of Kenya, which is one of the largest embassies, if not the largest, in all of Africa. Here I am mingling in the ambassador's living room.
There were pictures of his family with Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in the living room.

Here are some of my co-workers and I in the ambassador's back yard. His mansion is behind us and the pool, fountains, and tennis courts are in front of us.
Jessica, the girl in the pink sweater, and I had a ten minute conversation with the ambassador's wife. She was a very nice lady and good at small talk. I won't go into all the details of our conversation and what I learned about her family, but it was quite an evening. Good aurderves and open bar (of course). My favorite part was sitting on the ambassador's couch. It was like sitting on a cloud - a treat compared to my foam and wooden couches at home. The things we see as luxuries when living overseas...

3 comments:

  1. What a great experience. I'll soon be joining you in the Southern hemisphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, what a very unique experience! I bet you could win a good game of 'have you ever...' with that one, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! You live for things like this. I thought, "I wonder which dress she was giddy to wear?"

    Cheers,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete