Monday, September 22, 2008

Anniversary

Today marks exactly two months of me being in Kenya. I find myself being reflective the last two weeks or so, missing things in America for the first time, and often amazed that I live in Africa. So on this two month anniversary I'll share my reflections...

Things I miss from home...
(aside from family and friends, which is a given)
1. Dairy Queen Recess peanut butter cup blizzard with swirl ice cream
2. Subway sandwiches
3. The beautiful red and orange leaves of fall in Oregon



Things I love about living in Africa...
1. The sub-tropical climate
2. Spring in September
3. Blooming flowers year round
4. The wildlife, including the variety of birds I see every day (except the ibis pictures here, which wake me up each morning with their screaming baby squawking)
5. The variety of people, their languages, cultures, and perspectives
6. New friends
7. Endless opportunities (I'm going to the U.S. Ambassador's house on Thursday night)



In some ways I feel like I just arrived in Kenya, but most of the time I feel like I've lived here for much longer than two months. It's amazing how quickly a place can become home. My little spot in Africa definitely feels like home.

1 comment:

  1. I'd buy the blizzard for you....

    You're loved!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete