Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lake Nakuru

This weekend was spent on safari with friends at Lake Nakuru. I'm sure you're all tired of seeing safari pictures and hearing my boring facts about Africa's amazing animals, but it's what I've been up to, so here are a few more pictures with facts and opinions attached.

Lake Nakuru National Park has two things that are not common at other national game reserves: rhinos and flamingos. Although rhinos are one of the "Big Five" of Africa, they were not as exciting for me as the flamingos. The lake was filled with the buzzing sound of these birds as they plucked food from the lake and took to flight in groups. When you see pictures of Africa's flamingos, Lake Nakuru is what you are viewing. It was another national geographic moment for me, and once again I was in awe at the beautiful country God allows me to live.

Some other fun creatures I had seen before, but haven't posted about included the warthog (aka Pumba for the Lion King fans). They are ugly creatures, but run with their tails in the air, just like the movie...And a dik-dik, the smallest antelope in Africa. You always see dik-diks in pairs, so this guy's wife is just outside the picture. So cute!Safari never gets old or boring for me. I love being out in God's creation and seeing all the unique things he invented. There is always something new to discover on safari in Kenya. I know I've written this before, but whenever you're ready to go, send me an email!

2 comments:

  1. How cool. You are giving us something to look forward to the next time we come.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the safari pictures coming! I love seeing the animals and hearing about your adventures.

    -Amber-

    ReplyDelete