Thursday, April 19, 2012

A little boy on the tram

Today Will and I sat across from a small boy and his mother on the tram. We sat quietly for awhile, as is common on the Budapest tram. Even the three year old sat silently in his seat, looking out the window. Then Will and I began quietly chatting about this and that. The boy looked at us and smiled. He proceeded to point his small finger in our faces and chatter away to his mother about us. I have no idea what he was saying, but it was obvious he realized we were not Hungarian or not Hungarian speakers or strange because of the way we were talking. His mom seemed a little embarrassed at first, but Will and I just smiled back and laughed at the cuteness of this kid. How is it that a little boy can identify the difference of these foreigners sitting next to him? Culture and language are interesting aspects of life that even a three year old gets a kick out of. I wonder what he was thinking and saying... (I need to learn Hungarian!)

1 comment: