Friday, February 13, 2009

Love is in the air!

In honor of Valentine's Day I thought I'd share a little about the fifth grade "love" that's going around my classroom. Yesterday one of my little girls came to me complaining that a boy keeps hitting and kicking her. Being a teacher who avidly focuses on Matthew 18:15&16, I asked her if she'd "gone to her brother first". After she said yes, I honestly responded, "He likes you. He doesn't know how to tell you that he thinks you're a nice girl, so he hits you. Boys are just like that." She had a somewhat dazed look, then a half smile, then a dazed look again. She was having a hard time making the connection (which I suppose is often the case no matter what the age :). I told her I'd talk to him.

So when I saw the boy at recess, I pulled him aside and asked, "Did this girl ask you to stop hitting and kicking her?" "No," was the response. I continued, "Well, she doesn't really like it. I realize you're not doing it to be mean. You're doing it because you think she's a nice girl and you like her, but she doesn't like it. A better idea is to say 'I think you're nice' or 'Hi, how are you doing?' It's just a suggestion." "OK Miss Grimes," and off he went.

Did my suggestion work? I don't know. These two were also caught playing footsies in another class. Love is in the fifth grade air. Teddi Jo, you were right - second semester of fifth grade is a whole different ball game. Hormones are going crazy! But it certainly makes for fun conversation at the teacher's lunch table and some comic relief for their teacher during the day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the drama of hormonal fifth graders~you'll be such a good influence for them! They sincerely need it at this age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to see the movie, "He's Just Not That Into You". It will make you rethink your advice that the boy is into the girl.:-> It leaves us growing up thinking that when guys treat us like crap, they really just like us!

    ReplyDelete