Friday, April 10, 2009

Masai Mara Safari

The Masai Mara is the most famous place to safari in all of Africa. When you see pictures of Africa's wildlife on the internet, in National Geographic, or hanging in the dentist's office, it's usually shot in the Mara. Being the "place" to go, John, Erin, and I headed there for three days to see Kenya's iconic features.

We left Nairobi by safari van with our guide, George, early Monday morning. After a four hour drive, we arrived at Basecamp, an eco-friendly tented camp on the edge of the Masai Mara. Unfortunately for us, we were rained out our first day. Rain is slowly coming to Kenya, and I rejoiced as I watched the water flow in streams and lightning flash in the sky. I don't think John and Erin were quite as thrilled, but they felt better after two amazing meals of red snapper and lamb in mint sauce. ("Tented camp" is a little deceiving - it's a posh tent!)

The next morning we woke up at sunrise to catch our first glimpses of Kenya's animals. We came across gazelles, zebra, impala, lions, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes, and more. We also enjoyed a breakfast in the bush with George.
The highlight for me was watching three cheetah cubs playing with their mom around our van for 30 minutes.
Seeing twenty-three lions was awesome too!
And of course, sunset on safari is always a special moment with God...Although this was my fourth safari, it was just as amazing as the first. I never get tired of going on safari in Kenya because each time I'm in awe of God's beautiful creation - the vast landscape, the painted skies, and each unique creature He made. Maybe it's the Alaskan in me that loves being surrounded by beautiful things. So for those of you who have hopes of coming on safari with me one day, I'm always ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment